Monday, March 30, 2009


Monsters and Monsters



Saturday night Kate got called off. The kids had been in the house all day and were restless. I had been doing homework all day, and my plan for the evening was to sit around and watch the Jazz/Suns game. When Kate suggested that we take the kids to see Monsters Versus Aliens, I thought it was a great idea. We rarely have a night out with the whole family. Plus, the Jazz were going to crush the Suns anyway, after getting embarrassed down in Phoenix, right?

The way I judge the quality of a kiddie show is how well it keeps the adults entertained. This show did a great job. The kids didn’t get the references to Close Encounters of the Third Kind or Dr. Strangelove, but they made me laugh.

With 20 minutes left in the show Samantha announced that she had to go potty. I took her out, and waited in the lobby while she attended to her business. I could see in the main lobby a group of people standing together and looking up. They were all cheering and groaning at the same time, so I figured the Jazz game must be getting interesting. When Samantha came out we ran over to see what the commotion was all about. The Jazz were down by 2 with 23.5 seconds left and had the ball. I looked at Samantha, then back at the screen. It was a time out. I looked back at her, then again at the screen. I couldn’t make her miss the end of the show so I could see the end of the game, so we went back in to finish the movie.

After the show we came out to find the crowd still standing around. So I was able to see the last 43 seconds of the Jazz’ overtime victory.

After the movie Samantha and Whitney had to go to the bathroom again, so we pulled up a bench while waiting. Soon Bean declared that she had to go too. I took her to the restroom door, opened it, and shooed her in with instructions to find Whitney. I waited. And waited. And waited. Eventually I heard a soft whimpering behind the door. I pushed it open to find Bean crying, her little Levis soaked.

“I peed!” She cried.

“Where’s Whitney?” I asked.

“I don’t knooooooooow!”

As it turns out, Jordan Commons has 50 restrooms. Samantha and Whitney had picked a different one. But overall everyone had a great time and I have been told that we had better buy that movie the second it comes out on DVD. I am happy to comply. It will be a lot cheaper than taking them to see it in the theater again.

Clockwise from top: Whitney, Patrick, Lauren, Samantha, Papa...

No comments:

Widget_logo