Thursday, July 01, 2010

Pull up a Chair and Sit on the Floor...


While I was in school the list of things that I decided to do after graduation got quite long. Now that I am really done I have had the time to do some of them. With camping season upon us, I decided that I was going to make some camp chairs for all of the kids. We made a chair for Whitney a few years ago, so I used hers as the template for the rest.


The design of the chairs is one that I was introduced to when I was a scout and my Dad made chairs for everyone in the troop. We decorated our chairs (mine, of course had the old Jazz logo) and they became the pride of the troop.


When I made these chairs for my kids, I had some fun with them, as you can see. Patrick's, of course, has a block 'U' at the top, which was a little tricky. The thickness of the wood posed a major challenge for my little jigsaw. Samantha wanted flowers on hers, so I used a 1/4" drill bit for the center and the petals, again using the kigsaw to point the petals toward the center. Bean wanted a Spongebob chair, which was beyond my capabilities, so I just let her paint the sponge onto the wood.


Before the girls painted their chairs I gave each a coat of polyurethane. When I did this I discovered a beautiful rich wood grain in Bean's chair. I thought it was a shame to cover it up with paint, and thought about talking her out of a paint job. But in the end, it's her chair, and whatever she thinks looks the best will be perfect. And it turned out well.


As good as the camp chairs look, I think this looks better...



P.S. I am posting this picture of Yankee, who patrols the neighborhood from her perch, right underneath her flag...


1 comment:

Alley said...

The chairs look fantastic. I will be sure to bring my 'jaws' chair so I will fit in with the kids when we go camping. Also, my dog does the same thing Yankee does.

Widget_logo