Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Hey baby, can you bleed like me?

One night when I was 18 years old I found myself sitting around watching TV (as 18 year olds tend to do) when my Dad walked in and told me that he was going to a stake blood drive. He asked if I wanted to go. I didn't, but went anyway. That was 16 years ago. Today I went down to donate a pint and found out that it was my 50th. That only averages out to about 3 pints a year (you can donate up to six pints of whole blood in a year) and I am about 100 pints behind my Dad, but I think it's not too bad. Especially considering there was a year that I didn't make a single whole blood donation because I was donating (selling) my plasma (starving students will do just about anything to survive). I just hope that if I am ever in a major trauma, the medical staff look at the marks in my elbows and know how much I have given, and decide to give back...

No comments:

Widget_logo