Saturday, March 06, 2010

Singing, Safety and Sweating


Last week Kate went to see Patrick sing in the Altara 2nd grade program. The theme was “Everyone smiles in the same language”. I asked Patrick if he felt bad that I wouldn’t be able to attend. His response: “What kind of a kid would be mad that his dad had to work and couldn’t come to see singing?” That made me feel a little better about missing it.

His enthusiasm is overwhelming...


Saturday we took the kids to the Safety Fair at the Southtowne Expo Center. The highlight of the day for me was watching two women almost get into a fist fight. We had waited for nearly half an hour in line so the kids could get their faces painted. While waiting for one of the artists to finish with Whitney, we saw a woman walk up, right past the entire line of people waiting, and plop her kid in the chair for a face paint. The woman who was next in line, and whose child should have had the open seat, got really upset, and an unpleasant exchange of words ensued. The best part about it was that the woman who had jumped the line, after apologizing for doing so, left her kid in the chair for the face paint.








Which of the two creeps you out more: the guy in the bow tie who makes balloon animals, or the guy walking around dressed as a crash test dummy?




Not everyone wanted a face painting...

The kids also got to sit in a small helicopter and play with the controls. While waiting in line, I saw a child get tangled in a cord while getting out of the helicopter, falling on his face. The irony of something like that happening at a safety fair rather amuses me.



Last April, after completing the Salt Lake Half Marathon I decided that I wanted to complete the whole marathon in less than 4 hours. In order to do so I had to admit that I have to train for it, instead of just showing up and running like I usually do. The race is on April 17th this year, and I am putting it out there so everyone knows, and I will actually do it. I have been training over the last few months, and I think that I might actually be ready. I have been running 3-4 times a week and I am to the point that I go a minimum of 7 miles when running. I have also been able to complete my runs without walking breaks, something that I had never been able to do before. I have also lost more than 30 pounds, which is good, because my sedentary lifestyle was making me rather fat. It’s hard to admit, really, but I have to say that at almost 34 years of age I am in the best physical shape of my life. I also have to thank some good friends for helping me to get through my runs: Jerry Cantrell, Scott Weiland, Dave Matthews, Chris Cornell, David Gilmour, James Hetfield and Maynard James Keenan.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

The face painter who did your daughter did a nice job! I'm wondering, though, did she say anything about the line jumper? I am also a face painter, and we see this sort of thing all the time. When it happens in MY line, though, I utterly refuse to let the line jumper get painted out of turn. Sorry, but I'm not about to let a kid learn that it's ok to cheat.

Alley said...

You are right the Test Crash Dummy is creepy. Funny thing, Chloe got the same snake painted on her face as Whit did. Great minds think alike.

Widget_logo