Thursday, November 20, 2008


Rivalry Shenanigans


3 months ago I stepped in to the University Bookstore to gather my school supplies and found a great deal on a University of Utah flag. Patrick had been asking me if he could hang a flag on the playground for some time, so I decided to pick it up. He helped me to mount the pole on the playground and was quite proud. He even asked me if he can get a pirate flag some time.


The flag has been flowing in the breeze all fall, but tonight I got home from work to find that taken the flag down, wadded it up, and thrown it under the playground. I thought that it was the high winds we've been having at first, until I found the heap tucked away underneath. No way it got there by itself. And no way it came down accidentally. It was bolted to the pole.


To be honest I am amazed that it took this long for someone to monkey with it. You hear jokes about people bearing their testimony of BYU football from the pulpit, but in my neighborhood it can happen. What kills me is that when rivalry week comes around each year, the BYU honks give it to me by saying that Utah fans are nasty, dirty and take low shots, but that BYU fans are more dignified and would never lower themselves to some of the things that Ute fans do. To that I now say, "Hi. Kettle? This is the Pot..."


Speaking of the rivalry, I got a text message from Chas on Saturday that read "6 days to BYU victory" I told Pat about it, and she decided she wanted in on the smack talk. She sent Chas a text that read, "I can't wait to see BYU get their butts kicked on Saturday. BYU! BYU! Where girls are girls and boys are too." (I know, very mature). He didn't respond, so she sent another a few hours later that read, "I take it from your silence that you agree with me." "Who is this?" he responded. "God" was Pat's response. We let him wonder for a couple of days before I told him who it really was. He hasn't responded. I think he's really pissed.

3 comments:

JAZZMAN said...

Byu has the same chance of winning as the Jazz do tonight in San Antonio....very slim...or about the same chance that Alan has of competing in a decathalon...

Anna said...

Oh man, that is some funny stuff about the text messages. BYU fans are way meaner than U fans in my (completely unbiased) opinion.

Alley said...

The Text messages are classic! I love Pat.

Widget_logo