Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Bunch of Ice Holes







Rarely do I find a TV series that holds my interest. Since I finished watching all episodes of The Twilight Zone I have been without quality TV. This time the History Channel came through for me. I am hooked on Ice Road Truckers. For those who have not heard of this show, it chronicles the working season of a bunch of guys (and a token woman) who drive big rigs across frozen lakes in Canada’s northwest territories. These truckers supply remote diamond mines that are inaccessible by road for 10 months of the year. The goal of the season for the truckers is to get 10,000 loads across the lakes before the ice melts. It is riveting stuff.


Hugh Rowland, Ice Road Veteran


Tonight I entered my room to find Patrick watching a recorded episode of the show. He then gave me the rundown, word for word, about how a tanker had gone through the ice, and the proceedings of the recovery efforts. He also told me about how Jay Westgard is hauling a 95,000 pound ore crusher and how Alex is hauling an old cam shack. What the hell is a cam shack?




This week’s episode featured a meltdown between Rick Yemm and his boss Hugh Rowland. The two shouted at each other over the phone, and since this is the History Channel, the profanity was ‘bleeped’ out. Kate looked at Mr. P. who was glued to the show and commented that he was going to start talking in ‘bleeps’.

Later that night while she and I were canning pepper jelly she kept burning herself while trying to extract can lids. Each time she did she would yell “Ow! Mother F’er!” or “Oh, sh’t!” So I pose the question: What is worse: Patrick talking in ‘bleeps’ or using partial swear words like “F’er”?

In the mean time check out Ice Road Truckers, even if you think you won’t be interested. You’ll be hooked. Reruns are on Sundays.

Talk to you later, (bleep)heads.

No comments:

Widget_logo