Monday, June 25, 2007


The Big Shirley Campout 2007

I realize that I am about a week late in posting this, but such is life sometimes. Last weekend we got together with the whole crew and went camping at our favorite campground up American Fork Canyon. This was the same weekend that an 11 year old boy was mauled to death by a bear up that canyon. However, the tragedy occurred at Timponeokee campgrounds which are far from where we were camped.

However, we did get the chance to see some more docile wildlife. The squirrels enjoyed Grandpa Stretch’s peach cobbler. We also saw a tiny little fawn on our hike.

I feel I need to say something about the hike. When I was a kid, my Dad and I, and later Chas had a list. The list consisted of people who went hiking with us one time and vowed never to go with us again. We added two more names to this list: Patrick and Hannah. Of all of the hikes Chas Dad and I have ever done, this was the toughest, and made even tougher by the fact that we had 2 little kids with us. I think that if Kate would have seen the severity of the hike I might be in big, big trouble. It was so steep that I had to carry P-Man a good portion of the way, and on the way back down, we slid more than anything else. But it was worth the trouble.

The fawn I mentioned earlier was so small I could have held it in my hands. Chas nearly stepped on it. So Patrick and Hannah got to get within 5 feet of it. Also, when we got to the top of the hike, we stood on a rock outcropping, and on 3 sides of it there was a drop off of at least 100 feet.

Our campground was secluded, relaxing because of the water, and I hope to get back up there at least once this summer. Next time we’re taking Kate. She was the only one of the family who wasn’t able to go this time. I also have to thank Alley for taking pictures since I am a loser and forgot my camera.

No comments:

Widget_logo