Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing


Last Friday night Kate and I attended the Chris Isaak concert at Red Butte Gardens. If it seems that Chris Isaak is a little out of character for us, it's because it is. I am not a big fan of Isaak, and before the concert couldn't name more than one of this songs (Wicked Game, of course). Kate's Dad bought the tickets, then couldn't use them and offered them to us.


I didn't know what to expect, and when he came out on stage in a sequined suit, I thought he seemed like a real Elvis man. When he covered Elvis' 'Love me Tender' the thought was confirmed. We had a great time. Isakk puts on a fun show. He came out into the crowd and sang while walking around shaking hands with people and allowing people to take pictures with him. (The tickets said no cameras, so I left mine in the car, except for my phone, which is why the pictures I have suck). In addition to the Elvis song he covered Roy Orbison songs, and I found that I recognized more of his songs than I thought I might.


We felt a little out of place at the concert. We were among the youngest people at the show. We also left our picnic basket, wine bottles and wine glasses at home. Almost as entertaining as the show was the host of middle age people getting freaky. That's right. The couple next to us were probably in their 50s, but during the dance songs, and especially during the romantic songs they were getting down right nasty. And they weren't the only ones. The woman in front of us (also in her 50s) had to be helped into her chair because she was so blitzed she couldn't sit.


The venue is amazing. The scenery there is beautiful. A rain storm passed through just before the show started and cooled things down. Another upside to attending concerts there is the fact that the parking lot is the same one I use while I am at work. I parked at the end of the lot, right next to the main entrance to the concert. I then hiked over to the hospital to work. After the concert we walked out of the gates, got in the car and zipped out of the parking lot quickly. It was nice.




The show was great and so was my date.


1 comment:

Anna said...

Brandon and I volunteered for those Red Butte concerts so we got to see Chris Isaak several years ago. I actually like the guy despite that stupid "Cryin'" song.

Widget_logo