Sunday, February 25, 2007

Where the buffalo roam


I spent this past weekend sleeping in a tent on an island in the Great Salt Lake. It goes without saying that late February is not the optimal time to be camping on Antelope Island. So why would I subject myself to the freezing temperatures and whipping winds? For college credit, of course. The course was called ‘Outdoor Camping and Cooking’, and carries the weight of 2 credit hours for two nights of being exposed to the elements.

I don’t have pictures from the event because I didn’t want to take the digital camera and risk damage from the snow and temperatures that were to fall. It turned out to be a good idea. Within hours of arriving at camp the cold had sapped the batteries from my phone, Palm, and iPod. Not that I needed any of those items, and I was asked to leave them at home.

I won’t bore you with the minute by minute details, but there were some highlights. We were left to our own devices for dinner Friday night (I, like most, stopped at Subway on the way) and lunch on Saturday. We were assigned to work groups for the other three meals. Our group decided on eggs with hash browns, onion, pepper, bacon and eggs. It is an easy meal, and easy cleanup. We awoke at 7 on Saturday and started the briquettes. We decided to cook all of our meals together in the dutch oven. Since they were my ovens I was left to do the cooking. The two girls (sisters) who bought all of the food confessed that they forgot the eggs, a key ingredient to egg breakfasts. So I made them try to bum eggs from other cook groups. They only came up with two, so I made them cut the onions and eggs. Despite the lack of eggs, the breakfast turned out well.

Dinner Saturday night was pot-luck style. There were six cook groups, three assigned to main dishes, two to desserts, and one, ours was assigned to appetizers. We made garlic and bacon potatoes. But again a key ingredient, this time garlic, was left behind. But if our incomplete meal was no good, you wouldn’t know. I didn’t get to try it because the others inhaled it too fast.

But of all the meals the best was breakfast this morning, when we made scones. They were lovely, and I will make them again.

I found that I was more well prepared than most. We were given instructions on how to stay warm, but I guess those instructions were too hard for some. I took a one man tent, two 4 inch thick foam pads, a sub zero sleeping bag and an extra quilt. I slept very well. Others, many others, complained about freezing all night. Too bad for them. People also spent a lot of time whining about toes and fingers that were freezing. Again, too bad for them. I was toasty.

I really enjoyed the trip. When we made camp we were watched by a head of buffalo. After we made camp they kept away, but were never too far. We also shared our space with several coyotes. They sang us to sleep Saturday night. We also participated in a service project, where we cleaned up camp sites. It wasn’t the most glamorous project, but we did a lot of good.

Though it was fun to spend a couple of nights learning some new things about the outdoors and roughing it, I enjoyed getting home today, taking hot shower, and nap in my own bed.

The following is a conversation I had Friday night while we were all visiting about the campfire.

Blonde: So, has anyone here ever camped out during the winter?

Me: I have.

Blonde: Really? So, like, it is possible to do it? I mean, people can do it?

Me: No. Don't go to bed, or that's it for you.

She didn't talk to me again.

No comments:

Widget_logo