Saturday, December 09, 2006

Scattered

This week’s blog may seem a bit scattered, but it is a good reflection of how I feel right now. Scattered. Lately I haven’t been as committed to updating my blog regularly because I thought that my posts were more of a self reflection, and that very few people, if any read them. But after my post about Disneyland I received so many comments and e-mails that I realized a lot of people actually read them. So I will try to do a better job of keeping current.

I have finals this upcoming week, so I have a lot of studying to do. And here I sit blogging. I went to the 7-11 and got my Mountain Dew and a bag of fried pork skins (mmmm…heart attack in a bag!) to keep me company while studying. And somewhere between the convenience store and home I lost all motivation. It just goes that way sometimes.

Last week our little Geo Prizm gave up the ghost. Well, kind of. The alternator gave out. An alternator is not too expensive to replace, but the tags on the car are expiring soon, and before we can register, we have to fix a seat belt, a headlight, and a handful of other things. The car is 12 years old and has served us well, but it is time to move on. So we gave the Geo away to a young man who is willing to put the work into it, and we bought a new car. It is a 2007 Toyota Yaris. I had never heard of a Yaris, but the ratings on them are high, and it gets about 40 miles to the gallon. And since I will be the primary driver, the gas mileage is a big deal. I’ve never had a new car in my life. I’ve had newer cars, but never owned a brand-spankin’ new car.
It is sad to give up on the old Geo, though. We’ve had fond memories with that car. It’s the little things that add sentimental value to a car. Like when I had to wash it inside and out on our wedding night because my sister-in-law gave the keys to my cousin, who trashed it. Like the time I was driving Kate to the hospital to deliver Whitney, when Kate barfed in the passenger side door handle. Like when my former mother-in-law backed into it and claimed that it was our fault because of where we parked it, only to discover that she let her own kids park in the same spot behind her without ever having any problems. There’s not doubt about it: Cars gain a personality through us.

All thumbs and two left feet

Sometimes I think it’s a good thing that our kids don’t get most of the jokes we make at their expense. Bean has a pair of black baby doll -shoes, and recently the right shoe went missing after a trip to the store. Kate bought her a new pair of shoes, and I suggested that we keep the spare left shoe since the new pair matched the old. That way we’d have a backup. So we’ve guarded against losing the right shoe. Tonight we had our ward Christmas party, and since Kate was working and I had to get all four kids ready (Kate’s good at it, I am not) I asked Whitney to get Lauren’s shoes on. Whit chose the baby-dolls, and without noticing put both left shoes on the baby. I noticed the error and told Whit that Bean doesn’t have two left feet. She didn’t get the joke.
Last week while in the car Patrick hailed Kate from the back seat and asked what would happen if he didn’t have fingers and only had thumbs. She replied that he would be ‘all-thumbs’. Kate and I were amused. He didn’t get it. But as clumsy as he can be at times, he very well may be all thumbs.

Having four kids I have become lax about illnesses. When the kids get the sniffles, I hardly notice. When they get the flu I don’t lose too much sleep over it. Kids pick up everything. They go to school and come home with whatever their friends have. It’s just part of growing up. But when my fifteen month-old had a seizure, it scared me. Bad. I don’t want to say too much more about it until we know something. More to come…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have another one for ya. I often call my daughters "Grace" Then they trip or fall. They don't get it and tell my what their names really are. ALLEY

Anonymous said...

Chris, you'll be getting more visits to your blog. I've linked our Shirley family blog (shirlsofwisdom.blogspot.com) with yours. Now the pressure is on to keep it exciting.

Widget_logo